Understand user management, creating sections and menus for the website, set SEO data, configurations and more.
Users having administrative level permissions can create and manage users. After creating a user, an administrator can add roles or permissions to each user.
Users can log in using their social account or with the account that was created. All users might not have the same permission.
Perform the following steps to create a new user:
To view a user and the assigned roles, perform the following steps :
To add or delete role to a user, perform the following steps:
Users having appropriate roles and permissions can update other user’s profiles.
To update a user profile, perform the following steps:
To be able to perform certain activities in the interface, the administrator has to add the permissions or roles to each user. For example, you cannot approve a story or delete a comment from comments manager without the right permissions.
To view the list of permissions, view the following file:
|access-all-content||View notifications from everyone|
|access-comment-manager||Ability to access comment manager|
|access-entity-manager||Access entity manager option|
|access-tag-manager||Access tag manager|
|admin||Access Admin Dashboard|
|breaking-news-save||Save and publish breaking news|
|collection-read||View only access for collections|
|entity-save||Create and save entities|
|set-assignments||Assign someone else as an author|
|share-filter||Share a filter created on workspace|
|story-approve||Approve a story|
|story-close||Close a live blog|
|story-delete||Delete story from workspace|
|story-public-preview||Access a public preview URL for a story|
|story-publish||Publish a story|
|story-reject||Reject a story|
|story-retract||Retract a story|
|story-save||Access the editor and save a story|
|story-schedule||Schedule a story|
|story-schedule-cancel||Cancel a scheduled publish|
|story-schedule-modify||Modify a schedule publish|
|story-social-media-check||Show social share message on a story|
|story-sort||Sort a story|
|story-submit||Submit a story|
|tag-create||Create a tag|
|tag-delete||Delete a tag|
|tag-edit||Edit a tag|
Story attributes enable you to group stories by the attribute value, to be presented on the website.
To create an attribute, perform the following steps:
1. From the main menu navigate to Admin > Settings, and open the Attributes tab.
2. Click the Add Attribute button located at the lower end of the page.
3. To add the attribute at the story or card level, select the appropriate value under Type.
4. Enter the attribute name in Name.
5. If Type is Entity, then enter the following:
a) Select the Level of entity selection as Single or Multi.
b) Select Person, Organisation, and so on as Values.
c) Click Save Attribute.
5. Or if Type is Multi Valued Strings, enter the possible values under Values.
In a story, you can select the attribute and the required value from the Story Attributes tab in the story editor.
You can post the published stories at the publisher’s Facebook and Twitter accounts. The post can either be at the time of story publish, or at a scheduled time. To do so, the social accounts should be added.
To add the page and account details enter the following:
1. Go to Admin > Settings from the main menu, , and open the Social tab.
2. Add the social media pages URLs enter the following details:
3. Click Save.
4. To add an administrator account ID, perform the following steps:
a) Click Add Twitter account button to add your Twitter account.
b) Click Add Facebook account button to add your Facebook account.
Sections provide the means to build the architecture of information in your website. When you create a section, a collection is automatically created. You can populate the collection and chose to display it as a menu item.
To create a section, perform the following steps:
1. Go to Admin > Settings from the main menu, and open Sections tab.
2. Click Add Sections. : The CREATE SECTION dialog box appears.
3. Enter the following information:
4. Click Save. : A collection and a slug is created with the same name.
You can deactivate a saved section by clicking on the cancel icon against the section name.
To edit a section property and manually add stories in it, perform the following steps:
1. Go to Pages, and open the required section.
2. At the Contents tab, make the required changes such as adding tags, sections, story type, and sort by.
3. At the Sorters tab, add stories to appear in that section in a specified order. To do this, perform the following steps:
a) Select the required story, or enter the story title in SEARCH.
b) Click the star icon on the right side of each story name to add stories to the SORTED ITEMS column.
c) Rearrange the sequence by dragging the stories under the SORTED ITEMS column.
4. Optionally, you can select the metadata from under the Metadata tab.
The list of stories that appear in the section is based on the conditions under Contents tab. The default is a list of last published stories.
You can create a stack such as FAQs, Editor’s pick, Most Viewed, and so on. A stack can also be used to display the top stories of each section separately. Stacks provide the flexibility to position a group of stories within the website.
To create a stack, perform the following steps:
1. Go to Admin > Settings from the main menu, , and open Stacks.
2. Click Add Stacks. : The CREATE STACK dialog box appears.
3. Enter the following information:
4. To select where the stack should appear, perform one of the following steps:
5. Click Save Stack.
To add stories to a stack, perform the following steps:
1. Go to Sorters, and open the required stack.
2. Select the section name from the drop-down list on top.
Each section from the drop-down displays those published stories that belongs to the section.
3. Search the story by its title on the Filter Headlines.
4. From the story list under ALL STORIES column, select the story by clicking on the star icon. : The story moves to the SORTED ITEMS column.
For top stories, if no stories are selected, the last published section stories are displayed in that sections top stories, by default.
5. Optionally, you can view the story or view the story live on the website. To do this, use the two icons that appears on right side of the story name, under ALL STORIES.
6. To change the sequence of the stories, drag and drop the story name under SORTED ITEMS.
7. To remove a story from the stack, click on the star icon against the story name under SORTED ITEMS.
8. Save the new sequence by clicking Publish Sort Order.
9. To add stories for another section, or change the sequence in another section, perform steps 2 to 8.
You can create a menu for a user-friendly navigation across the website.
To create menu items, perform the following steps:
1. Go to Admin > Settings, and open Menu tab.
2. Click Add Menu Item. : The ADD ITEM dialog box appears
3. Enter the following information :
4. Click Save Item.
Entities enable you to present content and their related information together. An entity can be either a individual, a place, or an institution. For example, you can create an entity called Rafael Nadal, of the type individual. Having the entity enables different kind of information about that entity to be presented together in the website. For example, information such as Rafael Nadal’s rank, his tennis history, news about the sportsman, his personal information, photo gallery, and so on can be grouped and presented together at the website.
Entity manager enables you to create, edit and delete entities. To perform these tasks you need entity-save and entity-delete permissions.
To create an entity, perform the following steps:
1. Open Entities from the main menu. Result: Entities Manager page opens.
2. Click Add Entity.
3. Select an entity type from Type. The common values are person, organization, Company-city.
4. Click Save.
The Entities Manager displays the entity name, the type, the date on which the entity was created, and a button under Action column. The button enables you to edit the fields or delete an entity. You can search for entities using the Search Entities field.
To edit or delete an entity, perform the following steps:
If you want to create notifications when there are changes in a collection, you can do so by creating RSS feed for the collection. In other words, if you want to send automatic notifications about trending content, you can add them to a collection and create newsletters by using RSS feeds.
You can generate RSS feed by performing the following steps:
RSS to Email Tutorial
If not enabled by default, you have to enable a few product features, story templates, and story elements at the General and the Templates tabs for them to be visible in the interface.
You can use the General tab to enable product features, different types of story templates, and story elements.
The General tab provides the following options:
You can use this tab to enable elements to appear in a story, set the elements mandatory, and also set character limits for some elements.
The Templates tab provides the following elements: Title, Subtitle, Hero Image, Hero Image Caption, Hero Image Attribution, Hero Image Focus Point, Social Share Message, Author, Storyline, Tags, Sections, Sponsored Content, Custom Url, Canonical Url, Instant Articles Video Fields, Meta Title, Meta Description, and Meta Keywords.
You can create newsletters to share the published stories by adding them in an collection, create a newsletter
Perform the following steps to configure newsletters:
You can use SEO Metadata for Search Engine Optimization at the section level. This ensures the search engines crawl through the section pages so that it is displayed in the search results.
To enter section-level metadata, perform the following steps:
Sitemap is an XML file that contains the URLs of all the pages in a website. Search engines use the sitemap to crawl through each webpage. On the other hand, if yo do not want search engines to discover a webpage, the URL of that webpage should be removed from sitemap.
To add new URLs to sitemap, perform the following steps:
1. From the main menu, go to Admin > Settings.
2. Open Settings tab.
3. Enter the following information:
4. Click Save to reflect the settings in the website.
When stories are published, they are automatically added to the sitemap.
Facebook Instant Article
Comments Manager displays the list of comments created by the readers at the website, the story title in which the comment is made, along with the name of the reader who had commented. Comments Manager enables you to delete comment and restore a deleted comment.
The Search bar enables you to filter comment by the story title.
The Active and Deleted Tab contains the count of comments along with the tab name. Both the tabs display the comment title, the story title, who commented, date the comment was made, and an icon to delete (in the Active tab) or restore (in the Deleted Tab) the comments.
Deleting a comment removes the comment from the website. You can restore a deleted comment if you want it to reappear on the website.
To delete comments or restore deleted comments, perform the following steps:
You can view the list of tags created by you or other users from Tag Manager. You can view the count of stories that a tag has been used in.
Tag Manager is not visible if Tag Manager is toggled off at Admin > Configure > Features.
The Tag Manager enables you to search tags by name and displays the list of tags. The Tags page list the tags, sorted by the created date, and their details in the following column heads:
To search a tag name, perform the following steps:
If no tags match the search string, an error message states that there are no tags found, and prompts you to add a tag having the search string as name.
You can create a new tag by entering the tag name. You should have the tag-create permission to be able to create a new tag.
You can also create a tag by typing the tag name at the story editor’s Metadata tab. Enter the tag name at the Tags drop-down list.
Note: If Tags drop-down is not visible, it might have been turned off. To show Tags at the Metadata tab, enable it at Admin > Configure > Templates.
This topic provides information about how to add HTML snippets, set up email templates using MailChimp, add AddThis API key and the favicon.
You can add HTML snippets such as Google Analytics. To add the code, perform the following steps:
If you want to disable any saved snippet, perform the following steps:
You can use MailChimp account with Mandrill add-on to create email templates and configure them to communicate with customers or readers.
Prerequisite: To add email templates you must have set up the MailChimp account.
Once MailChimp is set up, perform the following steps:
1. From the main menu go to Admin > Setting, and open Other tab.
2. Enter the following details the the MailChimp account had provided:
3. Click Save.
To add AddThis API key, perform the following steps:
When you add a favicon, the image (16 by 16 pixel ) appears as the website’s icon on the browser. To do this, perform the following steps: