At present, PB provides flexibility in determining the published and updated time for non-AMP stories. However, this functionality should also be extended to AMP stories.
Current Behaviour: Current behavior displays the published time on AMP stories at all times.
Expected Behaviour: The expected behavior is to synchronize the published and updated time of AMP stories with that of non-AMP stories. Any changes made in PB with respect to published or updated time should be reflected on both AMP and non-AMP story pages.
Live-Blog Story template: The settings for published and updated time will be derived from the live-blog template settings in PB.
For all other story templates: The settings for published and updated time will be taken from the text template in PB.
Page-Builder Release Note - 23 Feb 2023
Enhancement: Live Blog icon on Story Cards
As of today, for Live Blog, on story pages, readers can view a red dynamic symbol indicating that this is an active story running with regular updates.
However, on the Home Page, this very Live Blog doesn’t have an indicator, and a reader may not be able to identify it instantaneously.
The change on Ahead is to add this very dynamic red symbol that would ideally grab a reader's intention and lead to more engagement on our publishers' websites.
Furthermore, the size of the Live Blog symbol on Story Pages will also be increased for web pages to give a more apt UI impression.
Enhancement: Dark Mode for Static Pages
There are 4 types main types of Static Pages. HTML | JSON | XML | Text. Our change is more to do with the html.
In the html also, there are simply a lot of possibilities on setting up the static page. with html tags, with css, with js etc.., and this is a reason why static pages were not considered into dark mode before. Now, taking account of this limitless possibilities, so what is done is
(a) BG colour of the page set to #1D1D1D for dark mode.
(b) Text elements coming out of plain html tags will be set to white colour for dark mode for readability.
(c) Better shadow/opacity options have been provided to differentiate between header / <p> tags.
Assume a publisher uses some specific formatting on a font, it takes that colour. also any other CSS elements will retain from the code as it is written and we do not invert the colours there. Also, set up a html page along with script where when time is displayed the text colour changes every second. while the dark mode is set, we don't get into changing the font colour coming out of a the style set using JS.
You can change to light / dark mode and see while the BG / text colour changes, other formats like ROW BG / Table colour are something we dont want to touch & have not touched..
Enhancement: Dark Mode for Search Bar in Header 5 & 6
The 11 headers where except the header 5 & header 6 - the colour of search bar is taken from primary / secondary header colour (existing functionality, works). Header 5 & Header 6 search bars will have #1D1D1D in dark mode & #FFFFFF in light mode.
Page-Builder Release Note - 21 Feb 2023
Enhancement: Disable the Service worker shell for all publishers via PageBuilder
We introduced the functionality to disable the service worker shell across publishers via a DB toggle. Considering that publishers are now requesting this quite frequently, we now propose to have this toggle on PB.
How does this help publishers?
a. Widgets & Ads load consistently
b. Uptik in revenue (observed across a few publishers)
c. Ease of use, no dependency on customer support/ tech
How will impact readers?
a. Offline support / caching will be missing — tech wise
b. Will not affect the browsing of a user unless their network is off
For new publishers, the service worker shell should be disabled (initial config).
For existing publishers having the service worker shell disabled, the same should reflect on the UI toggle.
Feature: Handle Published and Updated time across the website
As of today, PB provides the option on Story Pages to choose which dateTime publishers would like to display - Published On or Updated On, or Both.
With the change brought in for the logic of “Published On”, the reader experience for a story displaying only the “Updated On” on the story page and always the “Published On” on other pages has not been well received.
The change in PB is to provide the publisher the flexibility to choose whichever dateTime they would like to display across the website to maintain consistency and keep the reader experience seamless.
Enhancement: Published/Updated time on Liveblog
As a publisher, I should be able to choose which DateTime i.e. Published Time or Updated Time, can I display on the different pages - Home, Section, Tag, Author, Author Listing, Search, Story (related stories)
As a publisher, I should be able to choose which DateTime can I display for Live Blogs on the different pages.
Home, Section, Tag, Author, Author Listing, Search, Story (related stories)
1. Settings → General Settings → Manage → Time Settings → Placed between Time ago Format and Structured data time zone
2. Default logic in PB will remain as is i.e. Published Time will be displayed everywhere
3. To show Updated Time, the publisher will have to select the same from the global settings
4. In particular for Live Blogs, we advise the publishers to use Updated Time (disclaimer will be present)
Page-Builder Release Note - 13th to 17th Feb 2023
Feature: Support for AdSense on visual stories.
Now, we support AdSense Ads on visual stories as well. Before this update, only targeted Ads were rendered on web stories. Now, enter either Ad Manager or Ad sense details by going to Settings ⇒ General Settings ⇒ AMP Configuration in Pagebuilder.
At this point of time in PB, both Ad Manager & Ad Sense details can be entered at the same time for Web stories but the priority will be with Ad Manager in this particular case.
Ad requests will be served if there are a minimum of 8 slots in the web story.
Enhancement: ‘Since’ Time Format Update - Specific to Arabic Publishers - changes for 1 | 2 minute(s) & 1 | 2 hour(s).
This is an update relevant to middle east publishers for Arabic language localization in the timestamp in the ‘most read’ widget.
Under this update,
since 2 seconds will become منذ ثانيتان
since 1 minute will become منذ دقيقة
since 1 hour will become منذ ساعة
since 2 minutes will become منذ دقيقتان
since 2 hours will become منذ ساعتان
How this works is if an 'exact' search text is found, it gets replaced with the replace text as provided:
replace text: search text
"منذ 2 ثواني": "منذ ثانيتان"
"منذ 1 دقيقة": "منذ دقيقة"
"منذ 2 دقائق": "منذ دقيقتان"
"منذ 1 ساعة": "منذ ساعة"
"منذ 2 ساعات": "منذ ساعتان"
For this to work, make the following changes:
1. Select 'Since 4 hours' in Pagebuilder by going to Settings ⇒ General Settings ==> Manage ==> Time Settings
2. Custom Labels should be enabled from Settings ⇒ General Settings ⇒ Custom Labels & below labels should contain localized words specifically as provided in above quote of 'search text'. “Since”, “Seconds”, “minute”,” minutes”, “hour”, and “hours”.
This change will be applicable to:
All available 24 layouts, Related Stories (side & bottom) ,Search Page,Tag Page and Author Page.
Page-Builder Release Note - 30 Sept 2022
New Features and Enhancements on Ahead/PB
1. New Header: Header 6
2. RTL Preview on Pagebuilder
3. Uniform Time Zone
4. SEO Metadata on static pages
5. AMP Auto Redirection
6. Shortcodes Targetted Serving of custom code on templates
1) New Header: Header 6
A new header is introduced to Ahead/PB named “Header 6”.
The new header adds the following:
- Bigger logo, center aligned.
- The logo is now allocated a maximum of 104px height on the Desktop and
64px on Mobile. For reference, other headers except “Header 5”
allocates a maximum of 56px on desktop and 32px on mobile.
- This helps to give more prominence to the logo and establish brand
- Date and time.
- You can now choose to display the date and time on the header. This
works by picking the time from the user's device.
- You can choose to enable date alone
- You can choose to enable time alone
- You can choose to enable the date and time together
- You can choose the date format. Options in the image below
- Date and time can be configured from Header Settings > Date and
- Mega menu on Header (Desktop Only)
- MegaMenu comes to use for publishers who do have a large number of
links to be displayed to the end user.
- The mega Menu is powered by the menu group with slug
“mega-menu” created on Bold CMS.
- The mega menu opens up on click on the 3 dots that come up on the
primary menu bar.
- The background color of the megamenu is set from Header Settings >
HAMBURGER AND MEGAMENU
- Header 6 provides the following functionalities as well.
- Enable or Disable App download links
- Enable or Disable Sign-in, Subscribe Buttons
- Enable or Disable Social Media Icons
- Enable or Disable Hamburger Logo, see the following image.
2) RTL Preview on Pagebuilder
Publishers whose Language orientation is RTL (Right To Left), now get their
pagebuilder layout preview orientation set as RTL.
- The layout orientation will be set automatically on page builder based on the
preference of the publisher set on Bold Instance.
- The feature helps RTL publishers while setting and maintaining the layout of
different components on page builder to see how exactly the component will
render on the website.
3) Uniform Time Zone
The publisher can now set the timezone from which they are publishing set in the page
builder and they will be used in the following cases.
- Datetime tag in scouse code.
- The time will be displayed(in story pages) in the local time, which will
be picked from the user's device. However, the HTML behind it will
include the time in the timezone chosen by the publisher.
- Eg HTML : <time datetime="2021-09-09T11:23:31+05:30">9 sep,
- In structured data, the timezone chosen will be made use of.
- Following is a screenshot of a story page tested on the Structured data
4) SEO Metadata on static pages
When an editor setup a static page from bold, he can now add the following
metadata on the Bold CMS. Following are the metadata that can be passed from the
- Meta Title
- Meta Description
- Meta Keywords
The website now consumes this data and will be added as part of the metadata of
5) AMP Auto Redirection
In page builder, the publisher does have the option to enable and disable AMP
- By default, the AMP pages are turned on. This would generate a
corresponding AMP story page for Story pages.
- If a publisher Turns off these AMP story pages from pagebuilder, all of the
AMP story links which were indexed by search engines /shared on social
media will throw a 404.
- The Auto redirection ensures the AMP story links are redirected to the
non-AMP story pages in the event of the AMP story template being turned off.
- This helps in stopping the 404’s from getting populated in the Google search
console ”Not found (404)” error list.
- This helps in keeping the SEO juice intact.
6) Shortcodes & Targetted Serving of custom code on templates
The publishing house does have need of adding custom code onto the <head> and
<body> tags in the HTML to meet requirements around custom widgets, 3rd party
- A publisher can add custom code to the website via General Settings >
Manage > Insert Custom Code > Click Here to Insert(Pop-up)
- The publisher can choose to serve the custom code on all pages of the
website or on specific templates.
- The publisher can choose the template by clicking on the tabs on the left
- To serve the custom code on all pages he can choose “All Pages” from the
- Once custom code is added, changes are made on the custom code. He needs to
save the same and publish it for the changes to reflect on the website.
Shortcode on Insert code
- We have now exposed 5 variables that can be used along with custom code
- Following are the variables
- Page Type: This variable will tell if the page that you are visiting is
story page, section page, tag page, etc.
- Story Id : This variable exposes the story ID from Bold CMS. This
variable provides data only on story page. On other pages “null” will be
- Primary Section : This variable exposes the primary section that the
story is tagged to.On other pages “null” will be the response.
- Story Slug : This variable exposes the story slug.On other pages “null”
will be the response.
- Story Type: This variable exposes the story type and tells if the story
the user is visiting is text story, video story, live blog etc. On other
pages “null” will be the response.
Colour Palette for breaking news text
Earlier, had the flexibility for breaking news bg colour alone. After the current change, irrespective of the bg color light mode has black breaking news text and dark mode has white text.
Publishers however can change the text colour from the palette flexibility.
Flexibility to handle text colour for breaking news text colour to be handled with the colour palette.
Default colour(on reset)-light mode: white bg colour and black text
Default colour(on reset)-dark mode: black bg colour and white text